Re: [K12OSN] PXE vs Etherboot

So again, I ask: What's so hard about restarting dhcpd ?

I really didn't want to do symlinks when I started these test procedures with PXE,
but after having to do it for a few months I have gotten used to it (and it works
quite well).

For me, supporting LTSP, it's much easier when people don't use
symlinks, because it confuses alot of people.

Asking someone which kernel they are loading, and having them
tell me '/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp'  is really meaningless.

I understand and agree with placing meaningful information in dhcpd.conf in
normal use; however, in our controlled environment my test scripts are in full
control and should know what is happening at any given time -- i.e. if they no
longer run correctly for a test user and if we need to know which symlink
pointed to what at a specific time then we would have our scripts record such
info for us rather than asking the user. So my case may not quite be the
general usage case.

More background info: In my test environment users are able to start the testing
with a startup script which modifies the symlinks in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg which
instructs the box which OS to install on the next boot. You then reboot the test
machine and it will be told via PXE to install RHL73. Then when RHL73 is
nearly installed, the symlink is then changed to reflect "localboot.cfg" which
causes the box to boot to it's local hard drive. Multiple testers can run at the same
time (controlling different test boxes).

So my reasoning for not wanting to have the scripts update the dhcpd.conf file is
permissions. I don't want to relax permissions so that any specified user, or worse
case apache if I webify, can modify the dhcp configuration file. Imagine the
mayhem if someone helped me out by misconfiguring the dhcp server to provide
dhcp addresses to my real network...

When I am developing and don't want to cycle the dhcp server I simply
copy one file over the other.  My dhcp server has the file name set to
Etherboot rom, I simply copy files over that file name.  You could
always keep the files in tftpboot and create a symbolic link to the
correct file.  The dhcp server simply looks for the filename.  It does
not care what it is

Thanks, Etherboot.rom in dhcpd.conf is close, but wouldn't do for my needs; however,
AC3001FC in dhcpd.conf would work. Then I could either populate AC3001FC with
the correct etherboot ROM image, or better yet, I could symlink AC3001FC to the
correct eb ROM image.

Basically I have to reduce the amount of priveledges needed by the test user accounts. So
symlinks, rather than dhcpd.conf updates, will give me that flexibility. Of course there is
that dhcp communication program for live updates, but still I'd rather do symlinks since
I'm already doing that with PXE for my other testing.

Now if I could just get Etherboot to read syslinux.cfg, initrd, vmlinuz directly from the tftp
server without having to pack all 3 of those *plus* the kernel append line into a whole NBI
image file.

Sincerely,
Richard Black