RE: [K12OSN] PXE vs Etherboot

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 jam mcquil com wrote:

>All of this makes me ask:
>
>    What's so hard about restarting dhcpd ?
>
>For me, supporting LTSP, it's much easier when people don't use
>symlinks, because it confuses alot of people.
>
>Asking someone which kernel they are loading, and having them
>tell me '/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp'  is really meaningless.
>
>But, when I can have them do this:
>
>   grep filename /etc/dhcpd.conf
>
>and it comes back with:
>
>   filename   "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.22-ltsp-1";
>
>Now THAT is meaningful.

Hmmm, I see your point on the debugging issue.

K12LTSP ships with symlinks... /lts/vmlinuz.ltsp as a matter of fact ;-)

The flip-side is packaging. Having the kernel's packaging scripts
modify /etc/dhcpd.conf is just plain evil and doomed to break people's
servers.

I can't see any sane way of dealing with this besides symlinks. Anyone
have a brighter idea?

-Eric