Re: [K12OSN] Help! Ownership and permissions of /home

David Trask wrote:
owner, but they can view.  I need to change all of the individual home
directories within /home so that they are only visible by me (root) and
the user....and that's it.  What's the best way to do this?  I have 2
groups....one called users and one called staff.  Should I change them all
to 700?  What's the best way to do this so that it propagates to all the
folders in /home?  I'm not totally clear and don't want to screw it up.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding or oversimplifying this, but it sounds like you just need "chmod 700 /home/*"

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)