Re: [K12OSN] Help! Ownership and permissions of /home

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 08:02, David Trask wrote:
> k12osn redhat com writes:
> >I hope I'm not misunderstanding or oversimplifying this, but it sounds
> >like you
> >just need "chmod 700 /home/*"
>
> That's what I figured...but I'm nervous and wanted a second opinion...I
> may wait a few minutes to see if something else comes up on the
> list....otherwise I'm going to take a deep breath and do it  *wish me
> luck*  :-)

You don't need to make any special provisions for root access in
addition to the user.  Root can always access anything.  Also,
I always find it easier to describe what I want to do with the
symbolic names instead of absolute octal numbers:

u=user
g=group
o=other
r=read
w=write
x=execute (decend for directories)
+ and - can modify existing permissions

So, if you want to remove read/write/execute for group and other
while leaving whatever is set for the user:
chmod -R og-rwx /home/*
That way you can recurse with -R without worrying about adding
or removing user's execute on files or directories.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com