RE: [K12OSN] Instant Messanger

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 06:29, Steve Wright wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:45, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
> > We're filtering on two things:
> >
> > login.oscar.aol.com
> > *messaging.aol.com
> >
> > It's a bit of a "backdoor" way to do it.  Remember that the AOL
> > clients need to look up DNS, specifically, login.oscar.aol.com.  We
> > also do *messaging.aol.com just to be sure.  Well, if they can't find
> > their server, they can't log in, no matter what TCP or UDP port they
> > will eventually try to communicate on, be it port 80, 21, 20994,
> > whatever.  The conversation won't even be able to begin!
> > MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
>

> 8-)  this will require no TC filtering at all.  Simply block these IPs
> with iptables or do some other mean trick to their DNS.
>
> I'm no DNS or iptables guru - iproute2 + tc is my specialty.
>

> /steve

Thanks for all the ideas.  I sparked alot more interest than I thought I
would.  I did not do anything as fancy as alot of you have.  All
computers in the school that are for the kids are LTSP boxen so all I
really did was

chmod 500 /usr/bin/gaim

and no more instant messanger.  The few admin types that actually
understand the concept of IM can still use them becasue they are on
standalone XP home boxes.  Thanks for all th ideas.  I'll be filing
those away.

Jack