Re: [K12OSN] How can I hide other /homes?

Hmmm...I don't know if that can be done, but here's a rough approximation, taught to me years ago by a grizzled old UNIX admin at the University of Washington.

You chmod /home to 711 and set ownership to root.  The individual subdirectories (say, /home/student1, /home/student2, etc.) are set to 700.  What this does is put "execute" permission on the directory.  You've got to have that to traverse the directory; "read" permission won't cut it.  Unlike on Microsoft operating systems, "traversability" is a separate thing from "readability", and neither implies the other.  This "execute only" setting lets folks traverse directories without seeing what's underneath them.  That is, they won't be able to see which directories are in /home, but student2 can "cd" to /home/student2, or put "/home/student2" in the Konqueror or Nautilus file manager (or whatever file manager you use for dir. browsing).  student2 still has full control of /home/student2 and can import things from OpenOffice.org.  By default, OpenOffice.org looks in the u ser's home directory (in this case, /home/student2), so no directory traversal from /home even needs to happen in the scenario you're describing below.

I used a similar scheme to set up an "upload-only" directory on a public FTP server.  Worked like a champ.

You get the very similar behaviour, BTW, on Windows NT domains when giving all users "hidden" shares, that is, putting a dollar sign ($) at the end of the share name (say, \\SERVER1\student2$).  Still accessible, just doesn't show up in Network Neighborhood.

Not exactly what you were looking for below, but hopefully it helps.

--TP