Re: [K12OSN] Security Alert - gcc was: Instant Messanger

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:21, David S. Johnson wrote:

> <soapbox>
> Now wait a minute folks.  If you think gcc, make, etc. are the only way
> people can execute undesirable/harmful code, think again.  Do you also
> prevent them from running perl, python, shell scripts?  This process
> goes on and on, without really preventing irresponsible behavior.
> In the meantime, you've removed much of the utility of the environment,
> and all of the possibility of learning about programming, compilers,
> interpreted languages, etc.  I take it there are no programming classes
> offered in your schools.

they are the only way a user may import unknown code and build it on
your system, or bypass controls you have already put in place.

it is relatively trivial to allow a user or a group of users to have
access to gcc/make/gaim et al as discussed.

/steve