Re: [K12OSN] Security Alert - gcc was: Instant Messanger

Steve Wright wrote:

they are the only way a user may import unknown code and build it on
your system, or bypass controls you have already put in place.

Not true. A kid who downloads a perl script can execute it and do pretty much anything they could have done by compiling code.

it is relatively trivial to allow a user or a group of users to have
access to gcc/make/gaim et al as discussed.

I have no argument with the suggestion of preventing use of gaim via permissions. Broadening that to gcc/make, on the other hand, would go far beyond preventing use of IM, and still be inadequate to preventing users from executing unknown code on your system. Kids can write nasty things with pens and paper, but we don't prevent them from having those in school, because there is too much educational value, and they could write the same nasty things with crayons, pencils, mud...

  "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
   you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran