[K12OSN] K12ltsp vs. SMEserver

I have noticed some mention on this list that people are also
using SME servers for certain things.  There are some things
I love about an SME servers and several things I hate.  In
particular, after using apt to keep all my other RH-based servers
up to date I really hate having to deal with waiting for updates
to be available at all and then having to hand-pick the right
rpms for the version I have.

Has anyone considered merging the good stuff from SME into k12ltsp
or maintaining a separate apt repository for it?   A fork of SME with a
little work on LDAP authentication and DNS to make it play nicer
with others might be interesting too.

(If you don't know what I'm talking, about, visit
http://www.e-smith.org).

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com