[K12OSN] SSL certificate expiration help

I have had ssl setup for our webmail. I'm using a self signed certificate.
I'm looking at the certificate info in my web browsers and it's saying it
expires 4/21/2004. I could have sworn when I generated this certificate
that I did it for a heck of a lot longer than that. Anyway....I guess when
using self signed maybe its a good idea not to go over a year with it. The
bottom line is....I've not much experience with this so what happens on
the client side when the certificate expires? Server side? What are the
reccommended steps that I take? The easiest way would be to generate this
certificate with a huge expiration date. But if I'm thinking correctly,
wouldn't the most *secure* and probably *best* way to do this with
self-signed would be to say.....generate one that would last the school
year and expire during the summer when everyone's gone. Any help or info
on this? Thanks.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+ CCNA
Technology Coordinator