Re: [K12OSN] k12 ltsp thick clients

k12osn redhat com writes:
>As part of graduation at my high school we as seniors are required to do
>a senior project. A group of us have decided to attempt a thick client
>Linux solution for our school using a tech lab as a test bed. I (the lead
>researcher in the project) ran across K12LTSP which seems like a ballpark
>solution to our challenge. Most of our boxes are strut boxes with all
>sorts of random NICs and parts in them we are approaching this with the
>mindset that we have a zero budget and must use what we have.  I guess
>what it comes down to is that were looking for a bit of guidance and
>perhaps a rough roadmap on where we might need to look for information
>pertaining to what we want to do.
>

>Our idea is to get a thin client working the way we want and move up to a
>thick client. Our idea of thick clients is part of Linux is installed on
>the HD?s of the nodes enough to get it to a boot point where it can pull
>its brain from the server, and download and run the applications from the
>server locally. Where upgrading consists of updating the files on the
>server. Very much like a thin client solution however utilizing the hard
>drives already in the machines, also the idea of a floppy at each work
>sta
>bootable.
>

>Any guidance would be appreciated.

This list has had some discussion about using Knoppix to begin the boot
process and then connect via knoppix.....so a hard drive install of
knoppix...with a login script.  Or...if the machines have HD's....why not
simply put a "com" version of the etherboot file from Rom-o-matic.net and
make an autoexec.bat file to execute it.  That a copule of ways I can
think of ....the advantage of the Knoppix solution is the wonderful
hardware auto-detect that Knoppix has for NIC's.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us