Re: [K12OSN] k12ltsp release future?

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 00:51, Thomas E. Haynes wrote:
> The fedora core releases are going to make it tougher to use Redhat in an
> educational environment. We have the same sort of security issues that
> anyone else does. I understand that the frequent upgrades are a cost of
> doing business for users in education that don't have a budget, and I
> realize that these are economic realities, etc. Sometimes when you don't
> have a budget, you're not properly staffed either and you get smacked twice.
> There are lots of cold realities here.

I do not understand this.  I regularly apt-get upgrade, and I have the
latest of everything.  This does not cause me problems.  "Frequent
upgrades" are not a cost for me at all.  They are free, totally
automated, and 100% successful (except for broken rpm - not package
related.)

Why is this a bad thing for K12LTSP ?

> I think probably the list/developers should consider a move to ES for
> schools that can afford it and let everyone else install the "taroon"
> version for the demo or small lab environment on a shoe string. The cost of
> ES will put some people out of the game, but that was one of the things that
> RH knew would happen when they went to the fedora/enterprise model.

We basically *have* ES.  By the time you have SAMBA + LDAP on top of
K12LTSP - it is pretty well "enterprise ready".

Why would R/H ES be better than what we have now ?

> Another option that needs to be seriously considered is a move to Debian
> perhaps for the k12ltsp base. This is a somewhat radical suggestion given
> the host for this list, but practical realities may require it. If the initi
> al cost, complexity, and security issues scare folks off, then we don't have
> the user base (or the ltsp labs) to really make much of an impact.

But Why ?  What practical realities ?  What initial cost?  Which
security issues ?

sorry, but I am not following you, Tom.

best,
Steve