Re: [K12OSN] Re:K12ltsp wirelss

On 7 Oct 2003, Steve Wright wrote:
> > Issue - writing lab for the English department -
> > Here is my rough design.   Cart with a K12ltsp server on it with say 20 -
> > 24 laptops ( screen, boot device, keyboard, pointing device, wireless
> > device, and battery, oh and an access point ) printer on the cart.  Roll in
> > the cart, plug in the cat5 from server nic1 to the building network, pass
> > out laptops, open OO and type papers.
>

> Using the Laptops as X-Terminals ?  ooooo, 802.11b won't really do
> that.  *one* terminal over wireless is okish.. a bit laggy.  two
> terminals.. horribly laggy.  20 terminals!!  forget it.  The problem is
> channel contention.  That many transceivers will spend more time arguing
> than co-operating.
>
> What about installing knoppix on the laptops, and configuring them to
> backend to your Server ?  That would work well, since you are not
> stuffing heaps of X down an impossibly small gap.
>
> You won't need much of a Server to do this either.  Since you are
> talking battery powered - consider the VIA EPIA 5000 as a Server.  It
> runs off 12VDC, and has one slot that will take a wireless card.
> 500-1000MHz processor, 256M RAM, 20GB laptop HDD.  Julius runs one of
> these off 12V I think.  (wassup? J)
>
> I think you are saying you want to go 100% battery-powered..  this will
> allow you to use an inkjet printer (laser printers suck heaps of juice)
> and an LCD monitor.   However, I would be tempted to connect to the
> Server with your *own* laptop, and leave the Server headless.
>

> > Or an access point per English classroom wired back to two k12ltsp servers
> > in a nice safe room with air conditioning.
>

> mmm, yeah too much traffic to stuff X down 802.11b.  Would be ok for you
> to admin the Server over X, but not multiple clients.

Steve,
	I concur that 20 clients over 811b is counterproductive. On the
other hand via epia 5000 makes a very weak server. if serious about it,
i'd go 1GB (this is the max afaik). via epai 5000 runs great on car
battery and is plenty fast for one user (me). i popped 256MB into it with
a 40GB laptop drive. lcd uses more power as epia 5000 doesn't have dvi
interface.
	another way is using 811g or a, or using multiple access points
covering different channels.
	you can run knoppix or damnsmalllinux from cd as well, and as long
as you run only Xserver on the laptop, speed is acceptable.
	the way i see it, the least cost wireless setup here might be 2 or
3 servers, each set to be an access point (brief description, Steve?)
covering one channel and X run on laptops to connect to servers. Nice
project, love the idea. julius