Re: [K12OSN] Help Needed (Boot Image for 300+ ISA NICs Needed)

Well....the isa SMC1660 is certainly interesting. I've googled and there
isn't a lot of info on those nics. When I did find mentionings of these
cards....people were having to go to smc's site and build the drivers from
source....and still having problems getting them to work. These were old
posts so *smc* might not even have that stuff posted anymore. They are
*supposed* to be ne2000 compliant but (as you said yourself) it doesn't
work that way. It's actually quite rare that you find a network card that
won't work with linux...and I'm sure it would be possible to get this one
working....just maybe more trouble than its worth. Then again you do have
300 of these things. Anyone know how to build an etherboot rom with a
custom driver? I'm sure you could find someone with lots of old nics to
donate to you....which may be the easier route. Bottom line is.....it
appears to be difficult to get these cards working on a regular linux
workstation...let alone ltsp.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+ CCNA
Technology Coordinator