Re: [K12OSN] Re:K12ltsp wirelss

On 7 Oct 2003, Steve Wright wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 09:13, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> re: EPIA 5000
> Which LCD do you use in the Car, and how do you power it ?
>
> Ok DSL..  downloading now..  Looks neat.
>
> The idea of multiple APs or using 'g' instead has merit.  It just seems
> to me there might be a different approach which works with standard
> 802.11b which or course is dead cheap.

Steve,
	I found a 15" Sony LCD on my desk and moved it to the truck
because it was using a 120V to 12VDC transformer. Still works fine despite
the fact the the voltage reulator pushes anything from 10V to 16V.
	G is more expensive because the cards cost more, the low end APs
are rather cheap. If you want to stay with 802.11b, use multiple APs -
Orinoco supports 2 cards and each can be set at a different channel. That
gives you 4 channels with just 2 APs. Again, as you have noticed yourself,
this can be done directly on the Linux server, driving the cost even
lower. 4 channels give you effective 44MHz network. I have run 40+
stations on a 100MHz wired switched network. I would think that 16
workstations should be adequate on a 44MHz, even with traffic contention,
and in normal use, without the screen saver, even 20 should be ok. That
said, I'd use a switch and an octopus of wires to connect as many of the
laptops as possible - where the wiring would not be a big hazard. julius