RE: [K12OSN] 300+ ISA NICz Solved by Timothy...

> I have a 3c509 card thats plug-n-play. Etherboot and
> ltsp works with no problem in pnp mode. In windows,
> its addr is 310 (i think). This is not what etherboot
> saw the nic as. It saw the nic on addr 280. Once
> etherboot handed over control to linux, linux gave it
> an addr of 280 too! And ltsp works fine with the nic
> in pnp mode. I am not sure all pnp cards will work in
> pnp mode. I was lucky that when the 3c509 dirver
> probes the system, one of the addrs was 280 and I only
> had to specify the driver in dhcpd.conf. To get other
> pnp cards to work you might have to know what io the
> card is going to pick (by looking at etherboot) and
> put it in your dhcpd.conf file along with the driver
> name.

I think it depends on the bios.  If you are using a suitably recent PC,
the bios finds ISAPNP capable cards recognizes and activates them.
However, in the case of older PCs (or broken implementations), the
ISAPNP may not properly configure the card.

For most cards that is fine, simply disabling the ISAPNP resolves the
issue.  The only known card that requires ISAPNP either at the BIOS
level or in Etherboot/Linux is the 3c515.

Tim