Re: [K12OSN] top, w, who - Incorrect reporting

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 13:17, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> On 9 Oct 2003, Steve Wright wrote:
> > > Righty'o now gonna be looking at getting LOCAL_APPS working for
> > > hopefully mozilla and Open Office, as these two apps really kill the
> > > server when everyone logs in at once.
> >
> > I am looking forward to seeing this on list.  It looks to be a good
> > solution.
> Steve,
> 	when I take a piece of paper and a pencil and take a good lok at
> top, I come to the conclusion that running local apps, especially as
> demanding as oo is counter-productive if you can get a decent server. with
> local aps you loose the benefits of shared memory, buffering and fast
> processors, instead you need to build up the clients. this just does not
> compute. julius

agree.  oo/moz and their more demanding counterparts pale into
insignificance compared to big java and SWF web-apps though.

oo and moz actually go idle when they are not being touched, in contrast
to java/SWF which continue to consume vast amounts of processor.

Is there such a thing as 'a decent server' to push 20-30 terminals
running a heavy java app in a browser ?

*one* java app immediately claims 90% of my diminuative processor time,
if it wasn't for verynice slapping it on the ear.

anyway, this is talk on the cereal-box until someone tries it.  What
happens of some of our larger networks if 20 terminals load-up a java
game ?

/steve