Re: [K12OSN] top, w, who - Incorrect reporting

On 9 Oct 2003, Steve Wright wrote:
> agree.  oo/moz and their more demanding counterparts pale into
> insignificance compared to big java and SWF web-apps though.
>
> Is there such a thing as 'a decent server' to push 20-30 terminals
> running a heavy java app in a browser ?
>
> *one* java app immediately claims 90% of my diminuative processor time,
> if it wasn't for verynice slapping it on the ear.
>
> anyway, this is talk on the cereal-box until someone tries it.  What
> happens of some of our larger networks if 20 terminals load-up a java
> game ?
Steve,
	unfortunately, despite all the hype, Java sucks. Poorly written
Java apps are the worst - not only they use a lot of processor time, but
they also grab tons of memory they never seem to release. If your java
game takes over the system, disable it ;-)
	That said, a"decent" processor for 30 heavy Java users would be a
quad Xeon 3GHz or better with 4GB memory. Notice that I'm going low on
memory - large memory kernel seems to introduce its own problems and
slowdowns. I'll retest that assumption with new kernel on K12 4.0. julius