Re: [K12OSN] top, w, who - Incorrect reporting

On 10 Oct 2003, Steve Wright wrote:
> It may be then, that a quad 3GHz xeon + 4G RAM is a usable server
> solution.
>
> Should the Terminals be 900+MHz / 128M RAM, It may also be that local
> apps is a solution.

Steve,
	I don't think that the 128MB is enough for local apps on the scale
of oo and mozilla. on the other hand idot box for $169 comes with 800MHz
VIA processor and 128MB, adding 128MB costs about $12, so yes you can run
oo locally. and here another ugly issue rears its head: network bandwidth.
you are now making your local app access data on nfs mounted drives. if
you are working with large spreadsheets, you are moving the bottleneck
from the server processing power to the network bandwidth and processor io
capability. I just don't see a lot to gain here. The specific situation
may actually make local apps very good solution - when you get strong
clients free of charge, but have to buy your own servers. julius