Re: [K12OSN] Athlon-nvidia chip-rh9

"cliebow downeast net" wrote:

i switched to athlon kernel
whivh seems ok but van't get ethernet nforce driver installed without a
make
error in the tar.gz..there is far as  i know no nforce rpm driver for the
only
redhat athlon kernels i  could find and the tar.gz does not work. Anyone
have
any experience with this sort of problem.
<<

Yes, I'm running RH 7.3 and RH 9.0 on a couple of Athlon/nvidia/nforce
machines here. Basic info for my setup is online here:
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/e32b772b1002b70aca256d160004977f?OpenDocument

In order to rebuild the nforce drivers from the tarball, you need to have
the kernel source installed *and configured*. You don't actually have to
rebuild the kernel, but you have to go through some of the steps, as
follows:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4   <- should be a symlink to the correct kernel
vi Makefile       <- change EXTRAVERSION to -20.9 or whatever, remove the
'custom'
make mrproper
cp configs/kernel-2.4.20-athlon.config .config
make oldconfig
make dep          <- Not sure this is strictly necessary, but 'chicken
soup' principle applies

I think that's about it; you should now be able to build the nforce drivers
without trouble. I went through this procedure to update both the kernel
and nforce drivers on one of my systems just last weekend, so I know it
works. For additional background on kernel compilation, see:
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/a81f3ecb7cf5028eca256cf2003035ca?OpenDocument

Good luck!

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP