[K12OSN] Cannot log into server as root or anyone else

I am having major login problems.  Earlier I was not
able to login as anyone expect root.  Now I cannot
login as root.  I tried to change the root passwd, and
I am now getting a new error.

I cannot give root a new passwd because it is coming
up with this error:

sh-2.05b# passwd
Changing password for user root.
passwd:  Authentication token manipulation error
sh-2.05b#

My computer is totally hosed at this time, please if
anyone has any answers let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Jennifer