Re: [K12OSN] New servers

Athlon 64 chips are somewhat slower than either an Opteron or Athlon 64/FX, according to the recent Toms's Hardware review.  Also, no "Athlon 64" of any type supports SMP; only the Opteron series does.  Personally, given the relatively minimal price difference, and given that Socket 940 is much more likely to be supported in the future than Socket 754, I'd go w/ the Opteron over the Athlon 64 in any case, workstation or server.  In the case of a single-processor workstation, I might go w/ the Athlon 64/FX over an Opteron chip if the price savings were large enough; currently it isn't.

As for comparing against the Intel chips, again according to Tom's Hardware, dual and single Opteron end up beating dual and single Xeon in nearly every test using SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES), both in 32-bit and 64-bit modes.  The Samba capacity testing, as one example, is quite telling here.  It's when you try Windows-32 tests that the Xeon, and to a lesser extent, the "regular" P4, end up somewhat ahead, because certain Windows apps--most notably games--are specifically optimized for the P4 architecture.

--TP