Re: [K12OSN] Workstation too slow

Those 486's--are they running Intel EEPro 100's as well?  If they're running 10Mb cards, then performance will suffer some, but it should still be usable.  Reason I ask:  there were a few 486 motherboards made w/ PCI slots, but not many--they were more often ISA with the VESA Local Bus extension (I know, I'm dating myself here).

Also, I recommend replacing that hub with a full-duplexing switch.  You'll get much better throughput because you'll eliminate collisions.  I tried K12LTSP on a hub, and performance was abysmal--virtually unusable.  When I went to a full-duplexing switch, the difference was very marked.

Finally, what I would do is add some DRAM to those workstations and not do NFS swapping.  Those 32MB Pentium-233's should be fine as is--we use nearly identical machines in my lab (only difference is mine use 3C905 NICs).  As for the 486's, I'd try to add some DRAM to make them at least 16MB, and I'd go for 32MB if at all possible.  Memory is, fortunately, cheap these days.

--TP