Re: [K12OSN] New servers

You're quite correct.  That's why the test was also done on both chips w/ 32-bit versions of SLES (I think I mentioned that--my apologies if I didn't).  The Opteron outdid the Xeon in this mode as well.  The only time the P4 could consistently beat is is when you loaded Windows and ran specific Windows end-station apps.  My point was only that you cannot depend on Windows-based workstation benchmarks (e. g. Quake III) to determine general server performance due to very specific P4 optimizations for (for example) game play when that app was compiled.

I think it would be instructive for folks contemplating the purchase of a new server to read the review.  It shows where, specifically, we can realize Opteron's benefits and where they just don't show up in usage.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030422/index.html

For those really price-conscious folks, remember that an "Athlon32-based" solution is still a very fine one, and yes, you can do SMP with Athlon XP's and T-birds...quite nicely.  Heck, on two motherboards (the Tyan S2460 and 2462), you can even do it with Durons!

--TP

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 21:26, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
On 11 Oct 2003, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
> As for comparing against the Intel chips, again according to Tom's
> Hardware, dual and single Opteron end up beating dual and single Xeon in
> nearly every test using SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES), both in
> 32-bit and 64-bit modes.  The Samba capacity testing, as one example, is
> quite telling here.  It's when you try Windows-32 tests that the Xeon,
> and to a lesser extent, the "regular" P4, end up somewhat ahead, because
> certain Windows apps--most notably games--are specifically optimized for
> the P4 architecture.
Terrel,
	the test is comparing apples and pumpkins. The memory access of a
64 bit processor agains the 32 bit xeon essentially invalidates the test.
the big advantage opteron has (or is supposed to have) is the ability to
run 32 bit apps. this is the advantage over itanium, not xeon.
	full disclosure: have stock in both intel and amd. julius