Re: [K12OSN] Workstation too slow

Jonathan, you beat me to it!  :-)

I ran into kernel panics on a box just this weekend.  Found out it was--yep, bad DRAM.  Windows 95 liked it, but neither Windows NT nor GNU/Linux did.  I'm guessing any of the following:  bad memory, dust in the SIMM slots, or the SIMMS didn't quite get fully seated.

As for the bad performance once things are up, there are two additional things I can think of.

1.)  Some of these thin clients might be auto-negotiating to 10Mbps half-duplex instead of 100Mbps/Full.  That's the only time I've seen anything like what you're describing.  Can you log into that switch and take a look at the ports for us?

2.)  Some of those NICs may be starting to go bad.  They're not completely dead yet, but they're on their way.  I've had this happen several times with older 3Com cards, where they're either spewing out bad packets or just not transmitting/receiving sporadically.  In the first case, you'll get dog-slow performance because the bad packets are flooding the port into which you're plugged, and "good" traffic will have to compete with it.  It's essentially a mini broadcast storm.  The second case is a bit more obvious; assuming you can get to a command prompt and do a ping, you'll notice pings getting dropped.  Either way, you should see CRC errors on the switch port when you log on to it and look at the port stats.

--TP