[K12OSN] Account Names Help

I am building an LDAP directory for auth to our samba/netatalk servers for
our 3000 students. I am looking for suggestions on naming conventions. I was
thinking firstname.lastname would be the easiest for the kids and also have
the least amount of duplicates but thanks to windows 98 I believe I am
limited to 13 characaters for a login name. This puts me in a bind with long
first names such as

christopher.c
christopher.r
christopher.j

These are terrible login names! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie McParland