Re: [K12OSN] Workstation too slow

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 21:53, Web Support wrote:
> Jonathan Bartlett, you're the man :)
>
> Here is the final trial and error i did :
>
> - Replace all RAM to one pice of 16 MB RAM (instead of 2 pice of 8 MB)
> - Still use no swap on lts.conf for all workstations
>
> And the result was awesome, all workstation can login to IceWM or
> GNOME with perfect performance :)

congrats !!

> I have one question that bother me, i don't see any different if i use
> swap file or not on lts.conf.  So on what situation the swap for and
> must i use it ?

Sometimes, when you log in on the Terminal, X will crash, and log you
out in a minute or two.  This is when you are short on Terminal RAM.

I have found that 16MB Terminal RAM is the very minimum.  Swap will be
required.  32MB is better, and still have swap for safety (or someone
might lose their work.)

best,
Steve