Re: [K12OSN] boot problem

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 04:17, Martin Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 03:11, Jack wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 22:07, Jack wrote:
> > > Is there any reason a switch would prevent a client from booting?  I
> > > have about 40 hp vectras with Intel nics in them.  They are hit and miss
> > > when they boot.  Not very reliable at all.  However I've been using
> > > about 15 kingston cards with no trouble whatsoever for over a year now.
> >
> > I've taken some the the non booting machines to my home ltsp setup and
> > they boot right up.  Its all very confusing.  They swtich seems to be
> > the only difference.  I am using Netgear at the school and a kingston
> > switch at home.
>
> So how far do they get at school ??
>
> Do they fail when looking for DHCP ?
>
> Does the kernel crash and burn halfway through the boot process ?
>
> Are there possibly any other DHCP servers running on the network ?
>
> Help us to help you.
>
> Martin Stevens

The workstations fail when looking for DHCP.  They never find one.  Just
the message "searching for DHCP server................" However when I
bring that same machine home it boots right up. There are no other DHCP
servers on that network at the school.  Furthermore on that same network
15 othe lab machines have been working without a hitch for over a year.

Jack