Re: [K12OSN] Image not being read

I suspect that after you downloaded the ISO files for Red Hat 9, that you just copied the files to CD--which won't work. Creating a CD is a two-stage process, although programs like EZ CD Creator hide this from you. In the first stage, in your CD creator program, when you select some files to put onto a CD, those files are all incorporated into a single 'image' file. In the second stage, that single file is then written to the CD. When you get ISO files, you're getting those image files, meaning you need to skip the first stage in order for them to be properly written onto the CD. So, in your CD creator program, look for some sort of "Create CD from ISO image file" option, and then point it at the Red Hat 9 files you downloaded. These CDs should then be bootable and allow you to install.

HTH

Petre

Skuseth, Sarah L. wrote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks so much fo everyone's help on the boot disk issue.  Rawrite took care
of making me a good boot disk.  My installation disk WILL NOT boot into
installation.

I'm trying to install Linux 9 (shrike?) but it's not reading my installation
disks.  I did run media check and everything came back fine.  I also tried
copying all the disks to the hard drive I've partioned for linux use, but I
have _no idea_ how to tell it where to find the files.  I get:

/dev/hda1
/dev/hda5

Directory holding image:

I have no idea what this file naming convention means.  My files are in d:
Linux\Installation Files.  When I enter this information it says it can't
find it.  When it gives me 'other options' then it is asking me to load some
kind of driver.

Could someone please direct me to a step-by-step hard drive installation
process (this includes exactly how to copy the files to the hard drive i.e.
should it be three separate folders or just one.

OR, if someone could direct me to download the EASIEST linux installation
available.

Thanks,
Sarah