[K12OSN] Finally - some success!

Hello!

So, as you may surmise, I have had some success with the k12ltsp
setup. I finally was able to get both the onboard 3Com gigabit NIC
and the realtek card working (thanks must go to Jim McQuillan for his
suggestions, which made me realize that the Realtek wasn't
registering correctly when I did lsmod on the server, and comparing
it with the computer next to it that did work. Ripped out that card,
dropped another one in, and BOOM! success!

I had, before doing that, screwed up most of the config files so much
to get it working that I decided to do a fresh reinstall. Wiped the
drive, reinstalled, added the module for the gigabit card, set the
network configurations to match here, and there we go!

Grabbed one of the old Compaq deskpro machines I plan on using (we
have several of them), created the correct floppy using the files
listed in the /tftpboot, and booted it up.  I got it to boot, connect
to the server (watched from the server using tail -f
/var/log/messages) and got all the way to getting X to the start.
Screen seemed unable to handle the resolution, so I swapped it for a
newer one (this is going to be a problem as most of our monitors are
640x480 max) and then got the gray screen of death.  At least the
mouse worked correctly!

After searching through old archives, ltsp documentation, etc finally
confirmed all the display managers were loaded, listening, and
waiting.  FINALLY inspected and found Xaccess to have the * line
commented out, which was preventing anyone from logging on. WHY that
would be commented out I'm not sure. But once I removed it I was able
to log on perfectly. I must say I'm SUPER-IMPRESSED with the speed
and capability of this k12ltsp system. WAY faster than the previous
Windows setup (and looks much nicer too!). Some nice work for sure is
in this software.

Just a few problems remain, and if someone could assist it would be
perfect. I'm trying to get this all done because the school board
wants to see a lab up and running ASAP (something about them having
promised a high-tech lab to the parents and not checking with reality
first!).

Firstly, we have a wide variety of machines (all old!) but all of
them have the same type of network card. I think I can specify each
MAC in the ltsp.conf file, and put the appropriate video settings
within that - is that correct?

Secondly, while the thin client does eventually boot, for at least a
minute it keeps scrolling

100B AX: BX: CX: DX: