Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Support

I debated whether or not to answer this the way I *actually* feel.  Some would probably rather I didn't.  I've decided that, as a MCSE, it is appropriate and relevant.

I know so many MCSEs that don't know a damned thing.  I am emphatically not one of these.  Unfortunately, people who are actually good are few and far between, because, no matter what kind of network you run--be it Windows, Novell, FreeBSD, or GNU/Linux based--YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  K12LTSP has certainly made it easier--easier than Windows, in my experience--but that requirement still exists.

The vast majority of Windows "so-called engineers" can't sysadmin their way out of a paper bag.  I've had to work with too many of them--and train them to have half a clue--to know better.  Those certifications, to which I scornfully refer as "pedigrees", don't mean a thing when you're actually in front of the box and you have to actually do something.  I have no GNU/Linux pedigrees, and my Cisco pedigree is only a CCNA, but, like Eric and others on this list, I have taught myself how to do things with Ciscos, GNU/Linux, and *BSD that most folks aren't even aware that you can do.  Try having your standard MCSE design an entire WAN and see how far you get.  I'd rather have this list than one of those folks touching my network any day.

If you want to go with a Windows network because "I can get a Microsoft-certified person", then go with Windows.  We cannot stop you, nor would we--that is your choice.  But experience tells me that you're shooting yourself in the foot and letting the leg get gangrene.

--TP