Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Support

On 21 Oct 2003, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> I debated whether or not to answer this the way I *actually* feel.  Some
> would probably rather I didn't.  I've decided that, as a MCSE, it is
> appropriate and relevant.
>
> I know so many MCSEs that don't know a damned thing.  I am emphatically
> not one of these.  Unfortunately, people who are actually good are few
> and far between, because, no matter what kind of network you run--be it
> Windows, Novell, FreeBSD, or GNU/Linux based--YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE
> DOING.  K12LTSP has certainly made it easier--easier than Windows, in my
> experience--but that requirement still exists.
>
> The vast majority of Windows "so-called engineers" can't sysadmin their
> way out of a paper bag.  I've had to work with too many of them--and
> train them to have half a clue--to know better.  Those certifications,
> to which I scornfully refer as "pedigrees", don't mean a thing when
> you're actually in front of the box and you have to actually do
> something.  I have no GNU/Linux pedigrees, and my Cisco pedigree is only
> a CCNA, but, like Eric and others on this list, I have taught myself how
> to do things with Ciscos, GNU/Linux, and *BSD that most folks aren't
> even aware that you can do.  Try having your standard MCSE design an
> entire WAN and see how far you get.  I'd rather have this list than one
> of those folks touching my network any day.
>
> If you want to go with a Windows network because "I can get a
> Microsoft-certified person", then go with Windows.  We cannot stop you,
> nor would we--that is your choice.  But experience tells me that you're
> shooting yourself in the foot and letting the leg get gangrene.

You "Da Man", Terrell.
	There is a way out for our friends who desperately need hand
holding: find *several* good Linux / LTSP people in your area, pay them a
small retainer for the high priority they will put on the call of a
stranded half-baked sys-admin and pay by the hour for the help rendered.
it will cost less than getting somebody that almost knows his way around
windoze.
	A variant of this approach works for me - i found a local guy on
the ltsp list and i call him when i get panicky or when i want another set
of eyes, or when i need to do something quickly, but can't locate any of
my clones ;-)
julius