Re: [K12OSN] Total loss! Why the gray screen again?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Joseph Bishay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'll keep this brief - I had my test client connecting and working fine. But now
> it will not get past the gray screen. I've been reading online to see and have
> tried the following:
>
> 1) netstat -anp | grep ":177 "
> output:
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:177             0.0.0.0:*
> So something is listening
>
> 2) ps -e | grep " .dm"
> output:
>  4070 ?        00:00:00 gdm-binary
>  4118 ?        00:00:00 gdm-binary
> So we have a display manager running (is it a problem if it is running twice?)

Perfectly normal, assuming that you are logged in on the console via
gdm,  that's why you see it twice.  Once for the current login, and
again for the parent gdm that is listening for incoming connections.

> 3) in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf variable SERVER is set to 192.168.0.254  Just
> to make extra-sure, I added XDM_SERVER and set it to the same address

Hmm, with or without XDM_SERVER it should be fine

> 4) iptables -L
> output:
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> So everything is going through. As well, ipchains is not running

Looks good here.

> 5) The workstation is running on a monitor that can easily handle the resolution
> that X hands it, since it was running before!  The workstation also has a PS/2 2
> button mouse and regular keyboard.  It is a Compaq deskpro with 64 RAM. I
> believe it is a Cirrus video chipset. I've checked and that is all set correctly
> in lts.conf as follows:
>
> [00:05:2d:00:15:b2]
> # In the Compaq deskpro with 64 M Ram
>
> 	XSERVER = auto
> #	X_MODE_0 = 640x480  31.5 640  664  704  832  480 489 492 520 +hsync +vsync
> #	X_MODE_1 = 800x600  40   800  840  968  1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
> #	X_MODE_2 = 1024x768 44.9 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817 interlace
>
> 	X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL	= "PS/2"
> 	X_MOUSE_BUTTONS		= 2
> 	X_MOUSE_DEVICE		= "/dev/psaux"
> #	X_MOUSE_EMULATE3BTN	= 'Y'
> 	RUNLEVEL		= 5
>

> The workstation just loads with the gray screen, and the mouse cursor, which
> moves no problem if you move the mouse. I have tried both with the X_MODE_0 line
> commented and uncommented.  Watching tail -f /var/log/messages shows nothing -
> just that it switched to runlevel 5 and that's it.

The X_MODE_0 is completely out of the picture at this point.  You
obviously have X running, because you are getting the gray screen.

What is the IP address of the workstation and the server ?

How many network cards on the server ?

If multiple cards, which one is the LTSP network, eth0, eth1,... ?

Try this on the server:

   tcpdump -i eth0 -s 1520 -w /tmp/tcpdump.out host 192.168.0.1

The command above is assuming that your Ethernet interface is eth0
and your workstation IP address is 192.168.0.1

Make sure you specify the approriate ethX device, and the IP address
of the workstation.

Then, with the above command running, boot the workstation all the
way to the point of getting the gray screen.

Then, kill the tcpdump command and gzip the /tmp/tcpdump.out file
and email it to me at jam Ltsp org

I'll take a look at what is going on.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org