Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Support

On the contrary, I read you loud and clear.  You're in a very similar situation of a lawyer gentleman for whom I recently deployed GNU/Linux (Red Hat 7.3--there were reasons for not going to 9).  His staff is three people, so he certainly cannot afford a full-time sysadmin either.  I administer his network via SSH, remotely, and one Pentium II-400 box is currently doing it all--firewalling (iptables), file serving, PostgreSQL database-serving, and--soon--Samba PDC duty.  I check the server once a week to look at the logs and disk space--takes me 15 minutes.  I bill him hourly, and he's amazed at how little it costs.  Basically, one hour a month for the routine stuff.  That's it.  Oh, and we did all of this and put it into production in less than a week.  Runs like a top.

BTW, as he can afford another server, we will certainly split up that single-server duty--not because of capacity, but because I believe it's more secure to do so.  And yes, after seeing what GNU/Linux can do for him, he is very interested in looking further at Open Source to save yet more money (OpenOffice.org 1.1 will be my next step--he's currently running XP clients).

Going with a Free (as in Freedom) operating system, like GNU/Linux or Free/Net/OpenBSD, will actually cost you LESS.  Since you're concerned about budgetary restraints, I think you'd do well to consider my example.

--TP