Re: [K12OSN] /var is full!

I don't, unfortunately.  In light of Dan Young's recent post, I'd have to say "not without rebooting."  For our purposes, though, that may not be such a big hindrance, since

1.)  disk space is getting cheaper by the day,
2.)  we're all supposed to be viewing/archiving our logs in /var as part of proper security anyway.  We all do this, right?  ;-)
3.)  we have the luxury of waiting until after school and then running something like PartitionMagic on it.  I know that major data centres cannot get away with that (they need something more like ServerMagic), but most of us can.

The HP-UX box that I mentioned is the one running HP OpenView Network Node Manager, watched by a 24x7 NOC, so that thing *has* to be up all the time.  LVM certainly helps out there.  However, LVM on a Linux kernel is worthy of greater study, since soon HP will be coming out with their GNU/Linux version of Node Manager, and we may wish to consider moving to it (I hope!  I hope!).

This is the beauty of Free Software.  The best ideas can come together and produce a high-value solution without restriction other than merit.

--TP