Re: [K12OSN] /var is full!

I, too, work in an HP-UX shop, and HP's lvm is nice. RH8 and 9 both have support for LVM, and I've run it on both without any problems, but not really in production use, just testing. It may be worth noting that RH originally provided support for lvm in its Advanced Server 2.1 series (its 'corporate' version) but pulled it because of stability concerns, I think. However, AS version 3.0 is now out (according to their website) and one of the things promised in 3.0 is lvm, which we will be getting shortly. But, as I said, it's always been available in RH 8 & 9, and I've had no trouble with it on those versions. I *do* have a couple of criticisms, however, directed at RH: one, there's no built-in gui tool for managing disks and lvs; why? This should have been added years ago. Fortunately, webmin has a pretty good module for managing lvs, and is what I use. Two, why doesn't RH use lvm by default? Even with just a single-disk system, it should put that into a volume group, and then create logical volumes from that for the various mount points. Why? Because that way, when you install Linux onto, say, an 80GB disk, it doesn't just put the OS and stuff onto a 4GB root partition, and waste the other 76GB by putting it all into /home, where you may or may not need it. Rather, it would put 4GB into various system partitions, plus, say, 4GB for /home, and leave the rest unallocated, but which can be added to existing lvs as necessary or used to create new lvs. The whole point of lvm is it allows you to dynamically increase the lvs on the fly. (In theory, decreasing lvs should be possible, and even HP provides tools for doing so, but I don't trust it to not trash the data on the lv, nor does anyone else I know--but there's not much need for it, so it's no big deal.) LVM also makes adding additional disks easier: In Richard's case, he could add a second disk to the volume group, and then use however much space he wants to add to /var without having to fool around with creating additional partitions and figuring out which subdirectory in /var to use as its mount point.

I encourage everyone to explore the lvm module in webmin. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back.

Petre

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
I don't, unfortunately. In light of Dan Young's recent post, I'd have to say "not without rebooting." For our purposes, though, that may not be such a big hindrance, since

1.) disk space is getting cheaper by the day,
2.) we're all supposed to be viewing/archiving our logs in /var as part of proper security anyway. We all do this, right? ;-)
3.) we have the luxury of waiting until after school and then running something like PartitionMagic on it. I know that major data centres cannot get away with that (they need something more like ServerMagic), but most of us can.

The HP-UX box that I mentioned is the one running HP OpenView Network Node Manager, watched by a 24x7 NOC, so that thing *has* to be up all the time. LVM certainly helps out there. However, LVM on a Linux kernel is worthy of greater study, since soon HP will be coming out with their GNU/Linux version of Node Manager, and we may wish to consider moving to it (I hope! I hope!).

This is the beauty of Free Software. The best ideas can come together and produce a high-value solution without restriction other than merit.

--TP