Re: [K12OSN] /var is full!

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Petre Scheie wrote:
> I, too, work in an HP-UX shop, and HP's lvm is nice.  RH8 and 9 both
> have support for LVM, and I've run it on both without any problems, but
> not really in production use, just testing.  It may be worth noting that
> RH originally provided support for lvm in its Advanced Server 2.1 series
> (its 'corporate' version) but pulled it because of stability concerns, I
> think.  However, AS version 3.0 is now out (according to their website)
> and one of the things promised in 3.0 is lvm, which we will be getting
> shortly.  But, as I said, it's always been available in RH 8 & 9, and
> I've had no trouble with it on those versions.  I *do* have a couple of
> criticisms, however, directed at RH: one, there's no built-in gui tool
> for managing disks and lvs; why?  This should have been added years ago.
>   Fortunately, webmin has a pretty good module for managing lvs, and is
> what I use.  Two, why doesn't RH use lvm by default?  Even with just a
> single-disk system, it should put that into a volume group, and then
> create logical volumes from that for the various mount points.  Why?
> Because that way, when you install Linux onto, say, an 80GB disk, it
> doesn't just put the OS and stuff onto a 4GB root partition, and waste
> the other 76GB by putting it all into /home, where you may or may not
> need it.  Rather, it would put 4GB into various system partitions, plus,
> say, 4GB for /home, and leave the rest unallocated, but which can be
> added to existing lvs as necessary or used to create new lvs.  The whole
> point of lvm is it allows you to dynamically increase the lvs on the
> fly.  (In theory, decreasing lvs should be possible, and even HP
> provides tools for doing so, but I don't trust it to not trash the data
> on the lv, nor does anyone else I know--but there's not much need for
> it, so it's no big deal.)  LVM also makes adding additional disks
> easier: In Richard's case, he could add a second disk to the volume
> group, and then use however much space he wants to add to /var without
> having to fool around with creating additional partitions and figuring
> out which subdirectory in /var to use as its mount point.
>
> I encourage everyone to explore the lvm module in webmin.  Once you get
> the hang of it, you'll never go back.

Petre,
	LVM is just great, and on HP, with OnlineJFS the increase and
*decrease* of the lvols and filsystems works on the fly just fine. I used
it in production environment with no detrimental effects - on active
filesystems. HP uses Veritas Journaling File System, which essentially is
the core of ext3. You are right that LVM should be the default at disk
setup time. julius