Re: [K12OSN] /var is full!

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 08:30, Petre Scheie wrote:
> Rather, it would put 4GB into various system partitions, plus,
> say, 4GB for /home, and leave the rest unallocated, but which can be
> added to existing lvs as necessary or used to create new lvs.

Doesn't that give you really horrible performance when you grow a
partition into space that is far away from the previous part?
Multiuser machines tend to have the drive head motion as a bottleneck
anyway since everyone wants the head to be in a different place
at the same time.  I like to have root/swap on one drive, /var
on another and /home on another (software mirroring each to identical
drives if possible).  That way the continuous scribbling in /var/log
and /var/spool doesn't interfere with loading programs or saving data.
Does LVM have any way to optimize the seek activity or do you lose
control completely?

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com