Re: [K12OSN] /var is full!

In theory, yes, contiguous space for a partition is best. OTOH, depending on the situation, the performance improvement may only be marginal. And your solution of putting different partitions/mount points onto different disks is the way we used to do it years back when disks were a lot slower because it could yield siginificant benefits. However, any more, where we need top performance, we go to RAID systems, with large caches, 15k rpm disks, etc. But not everyone has that kind of money (I don't at home), in which case, multiple disks is one way to improve that. In the poor man's lab that is my basement, I haven't benchmarked multiple 5400rpm drives versus a 7200rpm lvm'd disk with partitions spread over multiple lvs, but it might produce interesting results. I just haven't noticed any performance hit from using lvm on RedHat, but I'm also not running a system with a lot of users. For a single user system like a desktop, I doubt you'd see a significant difference. To answer your question, no, I haven't seen any tools for optimizing the seek activity. LVM was developed by Sistina, who might sell tools for such management, though.

Petre