Re: [K12OSN] Best Backup Solution for my situation...

The best practice for this is to get some sort of removable storage, such as a tape drive, and take some of of that removable media offsite.  20GB (native capacity) DLT tape drives can be had on eBay for less than $200 these days.

That said, the way I did "backups on a budget" was to do nightly copies of directory trees over to other boxes whose job was solely to hold backup data.  These other boxes would be in physically different parts of the building, and I would do it at, say, midnight, so the users would never notice the bandwidth usage.  You can put those 6GB disks in and just start copying over subdirectories.  I would make a cron script to do this.  On Red Hat Linux, you write your script (it's similar to writing batch files), put it in the /etc/cron.daily directory, and edit root's /etc/crontab.  The fields are as follows.  Some of this may look familiar from using the Windows NT "at" command, since you mention that you know Windows.

Minute - Minutes after the hour (0-59).
Hour - 24-hour format (0-23).
Day - Day of the month (1-31).
Month - Month of the year (1-12).
Weekday - Day of the week. (0-6; the 0 refers to Sunday).

Change the cron.daily time to whatever you want, and then let 'er rip.  I usually stop and restart crond, just to make sure that my changes take.

Note that the box holding the backup copy doesn't need a bunch of oomph.  A 486 is actually quite sufficient for this.  Your "old pc" (AMD 150 or 300MHz) should have no trouble.

--TP