Re: [K12OSN] Best Backup Solution for my situation...

crontab -e
will create a new (or edit the existing) root cron file which will be
independent of the cron.daily run.

The most efficient way to do disk to disk backups is probably with rsync
through a keyed ssh tunnel.

once the keys are setup, then you won't need a password to run the
rsync.

On 26 Oct 2003, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> The best practice for this is to get some sort of removable storage,
> such as a tape drive, and take some of of that removable media offsite.
> 20GB (native capacity) DLT tape drives can be had on eBay for less than
> $200 these days.
>
> That said, the way I did "backups on a budget" was to do nightly copies
> of directory trees over to other boxes whose job was solely to hold
> backup data.  These other boxes would be in physically different parts
> of the building, and I would do it at, say, midnight, so the users would
> never notice the bandwidth usage.  You can put those 6GB disks in and
> just start copying over subdirectories.  I would make a cron script to
> do this.  On Red Hat Linux, you write your script (it's similar to
> writing batch files), put it in the /etc/cron.daily directory, and edit
> root's /etc/crontab.  The fields are as follows.  Some of this may look
> familiar from using the Windows NT "at" command, since you mention that
> you know Windows.
>
> Minute - Minutes after the hour (0-59).
> Hour - 24-hour format (0-23).
> Day - Day of the month (1-31).
> Month - Month of the year (1-12).
> Weekday - Day of the week. (0-6; the 0 refers to Sunday).
>
> Change the cron.daily time to whatever you want, and then let 'er rip.
> I usually stop and restart crond, just to make sure that my changes
> take.
>
> Note that the box holding the backup copy doesn't need a bunch of
> oomph.  A 486 is actually quite sufficient for this.  Your "old pc" (AMD
> 150 or 300MHz) should have no trouble.
>
> --TP
>

> On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 01:04, Richard Ingalls wrote:
>
>     OK, thanks to the k12ltsp.org website and this mailing list I've put in two k12ltsp labs in my school, as well as a linux web/email server, squid/dansguardian proxy filter, firewalls, fileserver and a few standalone desktops.  THANKS EVERYONE!  Until the last two years, I knew nothing other than Windows...
>
>     I still feel very "weak" when it comes to my command line experience and real linux system administration skills.  So, I need help.
>
>     How can I do backups?  I don't have a tape system.  BUT, I do have several 6Gb hard drives just sitting around.  I also have many old PCs (AMD 150Mhz or 300 Mhz).  Can I do backups over the network?  How do I schedule the cron jobs to do this?  OR, should I just install the extra hard drives in my existing linux boxes and do backups that way?  (NO RAID on any of them).
>
>     What is the best practice for this situation?
>
>     Thanks everyone!
>
>     --
>     Richard K. Ingalls,
>     Technology Coordinator
>
>     email: ringalls glenwood k12 mo us
>     web: glenwood.k12.mo.us
>
>     "Glenwood R-8: home of the mustangs!"
>
> --TP
> [...]

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE                                jim rossberry com
http://www.rossberry.com