Re: [K12OSN] Best Backup Solution for my situation...

On 26 Oct 2003, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
> The best practice for this is to get some sort of removable storage,
> such as a tape drive, and take some of of that removable media offsite.
> 20GB (native capacity) DLT tape drives can be had on eBay for less than
> $200 these days.
>
> That said, the way I did "backups on a budget" was to do nightly copies
> of directory trees over to other boxes whose job was solely to hold
> backup data.  These other boxes would be in physically different parts
> of the building, and I would do it at, say, midnight, so the users would
> never notice the bandwidth usage.  You can put those 6GB disks in and
> just start copying over subdirectories.  I would make a cron script to
> do this.  On Red Hat Linux, you write your script (it's similar to
> writing batch files), put it in the /etc/cron.daily directory, and edit
> root's /etc/crontab.

Richaer, Terrell,
	tape, yes, if you can afford the media. DLT cartriges are
expensive. Off-site backup - remeber, rsync IS magic! i back up daily my
basic working set - about 6GB to several places, one of them is physically
3000 miles away, connected by VPN over T1. The backup takes between 6 and
8 *minutes*, same backup to another computer connected by 100TX takes 3.5
to 5 minutes. Magic, I tell you. julius