RE: [K12OSN] Sound on VIA epia C3-533

--- Tim Thorpe <tim cleanyourdirt com> wrote:

> >   Sound server informational message:
> >   Error while initializing the sound driver:
> >   device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission
> denied)
>
> [Tim Thorpe]
> What are the perms on /dev/dsp? I assume they should
> be lrwxr-xr-x

They are:
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Jan 30
2003 /dev/dsp

I don't know what the "l" in your example means or the
"c" on my dir. Do I just do a chmod 755 /dev/dsp?

BTW, do I have the numbers right:
  --- = 0
  r-- = 1
  -w- = 2
  --x = 4
and then just add the numbers to get the digits for
chmod?

Thank you for your help.

=====
David D. Nelson