Re: [K12OSN] Help with file permissions

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 06:47, Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
> I need some help with a problem caused by an overtired system
> administrator, that would happen to be me.
>
> In the process of cleaning up some permissions/ownership problems, I wasn't
> thinking about what I typed in and I chmod -R 777 .* on my redhat 8
> file/print servers. Not realizing what I did, I left it to run
> completely.  Now, I have a working server at the moment, but I'd like to
> restore everything except for /home back to what it should be.  Any
> suggestions?  I "think" doing an upgrade to Redhat 9 will do the trick, but
> I don't want to do that on production servers in the middle of the school
> year.  Thanksgiving or Christmas, perhapes.

RPM remembers the permissions of the files it installs. You can use this
to reset everything back to their original settings:

	rpm --setperms -a

The same trick can be used to fix mistakes with chown:

	rpm --setugids -a

The "-a" means all packages. If you need to fix just one package, just
specify that package...  rpm --setperms httpd

-Eric