Re: [K12OSN] Help with file permissions

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 06:47, Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
> I need some help with a problem caused by an overtired system
> administrator, that would happen to be me.
> In the process of cleaning up some permissions/ownership problems, I wasn't
> thinking about what I typed in and I chmod -R 777 .* on my redhat 8
> file/print servers.

RPM remembers the permissions of the files it installs. You can use this
to reset everything back to their original settings:
        rpm --setperms -a
The same trick can be used to fix mistakes with chown:
        rpm --setugids -a
The "-a" means all packages. If you need to fix just one package, just
specify that package...  rpm --setperms httpd

-Eric

Thanks, appreciated. Jeez, do I feel like a newbie. The rest of the story I didn't say is that I have two perfectly identical servers in two different school districts and I was ssh'ed into both comparing and trying to figure out how to fix the problem and to make a long story short, I wasn't paying attention and I chmod'ed both of them 777.

It was one of my more humbling days.

Eric