Re: [K12OSN] RedHat 10 not coming out (now what for LTSP?)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Dan Young wrote:

> > > I'm not sure it would be accurate to call Fedora less-stable, especially
> > > when comparing to RH9.
> >
> > but if I send someone to buy a boxed copy of RH at the local computerstore
> > what will they find on the shelves??
>
> Nothing. Redhat isn't doing a boxed retail product anymore. It's an
> expensive and slow way to get software into people's hands, particularly
> if said software is developing relatively rapidly.

I think that is a big mistake (IMHO) even if it is slow many people want
to be able to pick up a copy, even if it is slightly behind. and the price
could reflect the cost.   not to mention just having the presence in the
store is identity, if not for a copy in a store years ago I would probably
not be using linux or any open source software today.

personally I always have bought my copies, my download ability is so slow
that trying to download anything as large or complex as an OS will take
forever.  not to mention I have been pushiing OS in Nicaragua where 1200
baud is a fast download....

 Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys smartnospam net