Re: [K12OSN] Sound on VIA epia C3-533

--- Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us>
wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, David D. Nelson wrote:
>
> >> SOUND_DAEMON = nasd
> >> SOUND        = Y
> >> VOLUME       = 95
> >>
> >> Mucho Thanks!
> >>
> >> JL

<<snip>>
> >  Sound server informational message:
> >  Error while initializing the sound driver:
> >  device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission
> denied)
> >  The sound server will continue, using the null
> >output   device.
>
> Nasd intercepts calls to /dev/dsp, if you are seeing
> permissions
> problems on /dev/dsp nasd is not working properly.
>
> Are you using GNOME or KDE? KDE uses artsd for
> sound, which
> spits out erorrs when logging in from a terminal
> (but sound
> will work in non-arts apps).

I get this with both GNOME and KDE.

> >How do I correct the problem. I'm running K12LTSP
> >3.1.1 and have been using up2date to keep the
> system
> >current.
>
> * run "rpm -q ltsp_esound", if you are not running
> version 0.4 or
>   later nasd will not work.

I guess I need to update ltsp_esound. I get
ltsp_esound-0.3-k12ltsp.2.3.0

Would I be best served doing an upgrade to K12LTSP
3.1.2 or manually update it?

As for the other items they are probably moot until I
get the right sound module installed.

> * Be sure that you have "SOUND_DAEMON" defined only
> in the Defaults
>   section of lts.conf, it can break things if you
> add it a particular
>   workstation's section.
>
> * Sound is disabled for root, you have to test it as
> a regular user
>
> * Does the terminal pause during bootup and display
> a message that
>   the sound card was not found?
>
> * What is the output of "echo $AUDIOSERVER"  and
> "echo $LD_PRELOAD"?
>
> -Eric

=====
David D. Nelson