Re: [K12OSN] Etherboot NIC Detection thoughts

After many hours of hunting down boot roms for the assorted NICs I've got in donated machines (and donated NICs!) I often found myself saying, why can't the server (at least) detect the NIC card on the client and then prompt to create a boot-rom disk for the NIC card in question. Is that doable? If so, then I'm here to tell you, getting a new network up and running would be a much simpler job... PXE cards are still kinda pricey and tearing out NICs to look at chip set IDs (if there is one!) is very time consuming. Is there such a beast? Is there a way to detect a NIC card over the network from the server?
Denny