Re: [K12OSN] Etherboot NIC Detection thoughts

I understand what you want, but if you think about it, it can't work that way. The purpose of the boot ROM/floppy/PXE is to provide a bit of software to use the client's ethernet card to 1) request and get an IP address, and 2) request and get an Operating System. The point is the whole process is driven from the client end, starting with turning on the power to the client. It can't be driven by the server. How would the server know to send anything to the client if the client didn't first request it? And to send the request, the client must have some mechanism for talking to the ethernet card in a barebones way. HTH.

Petre

Dennis Daniels wrote:
After many hours of hunting down boot roms for the assorted NICs I've got in donated machines (and donated NICs!) I often found myself saying, why can't the server (at least) detect the NIC card on the client and then prompt to create a boot-rom disk for the NIC card in question. Is that doable? If so, then I'm here to tell you, getting a new network up and running would be a much simpler job... PXE cards are still kinda pricey and tearing out NICs to look at chip set IDs (if there is one!) is very time consuming. Is there such a beast? Is there a way to detect a NIC card over the network from the server?
Denny