Re: [K12OSN] A bit OT : A real linux crash please help...

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 08:03, aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:

> This is a 1.4 dual PIII on an Intel mb with 2gig of RAM, an Adaptec SCSI
> card, SMC gig NIC.  I think I have a motherboard issue because the system
> runs better in single (up) mode longer than smp mode, however both kernels
> do the same thing at failure.  Possible bad NIC driver ?  Server runs like
> a charm until crash.  A very similar install is running on the same exact
> (server 2)  hardware minus second processor, and you can throw it down the
> steps and it keeps working...
>
> I love logs.  My real question finally.   Which log should I start with ?
> When I have console access after a hard start, are there any commands I can
> use to make the system crash ?  I need to know if I should fix it or
> migrate to another server.

I had one like that a couple of years ago and wasted a lot of time
swapping cards, power supplies, etc.  Swapping the motherboard
finally fixed it and I never did find out what was actually
wrong.  It never logged anything useful because it always appeared
to die instantly after running anywhere from a few hours to a
week depending on the activity. I'd recommend getting it out of
production as soon as possible.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com